Re: Column leveling plates

seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org,Internet writes:
I have a question regarding the use of leveling plates under column bases. =
 Our office typically does not allow the use of leveling plates.  The =
concern is that the leveling plate may not be perfectly flat, and the =
column base plate will not be in full contact.  Most of the buildings we =
do are in the 3-4 story range.

Naturally the contractor for our current project wants to use leveling =
plates.

Does anyone have an opinion on leveling plates?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry King, PE
Sverdrup Facilities, Inc.

I specify leveling plates at pinned column bases and leveling nuts at fixed
column bases.  However, I guess it depends on what part of the country you
are in and what the local preference is because I have had contractors change
from a leveling plate to using leveling nuts because that is what they
prefer.

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org