Re: bracing conections

     Original message:

     Bill Sherman wrote:

     >Since Section 2212.6.3.1(2) refers to "the force in the brace due to
     >prescribed seismic forces", I would say that the "prescribed seismic
     >forces" are the forces calculated using C/Rw=0.40.  This is
     >consistent with the intent to have the connections stronger than the
     >member.

     Aren't the "prescribed seismic forces" those forces calculated in
     Section 1628?  Section 1628.2.1 specifically states, "Except for those
     provisions where code-prescribed forces are scaled up by 3(Rw/8) the
     minimum value of the ratio C/Rw shall be 0.075."  The exception stated
     in the original message for nonbuilding structures changes the minimum
     value to 0.40.  Therefore when the code in Section 2212.6.3.1(2)
     scales up the "prescribed seismic forces" for the connection design,
     the code is referring to the actual calculated base shear, not the
     minimum base shear using a C/Rw = 0.40.

     Evan Jorgensen, S.E.