RE: Stone masonry

Stone masonry repair projects are very tricky and depend greatly on the type of original stone, current condition, proper determination of deterioration causes, existing construction details, original mortar, and repointing mortar if applicable.  There are several repair products that can exacerbate deterioration, and there are some good repair products.

For repair products:
Dennis Rud, Cathedral Stone Products, 301-317-4658
ProSoCo 913-281-2700

For laboratory testing, evaluation, and petrographics, there are several good people at WJE in Northbrook, IL that I have worked with and Mike Schuller of Atkinson-Noland in Boulder, CO

The Aberdeen Group offers several books on masonry restoration 800-223-3550 ext 219

Regards,
Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.