Re: Survey, final result (Corrected)

Even though we were joking, I believe you deserve a better (and more
complete) answer than my previous response. My concern is not with
professionals with your education and experience. IMO, you would be well
qualified to practice here in CA. Something that you may not know is that,
in CA, Architects and Civil Engineers are also allowed to stamp and sign
structural drawings. Architects here generally have about a semester and a
half of structural engineering courses (I don't know how detailed the
curriculum gets) and Civil Engineers can (or did, I think it may be changing
to 4 years) get a PE two years out of school. Many CEs here in the US get a
BSCE degree which means a lot of their engineering courses are not
structural. Further, a lot of Civils don't do structural engineering on a
regular basis; just maybe when the economy gets slow and there are no
subdivisions to design.

My solution if in charge (scary thought, huh?) would be a simple one.
Assuming that the general background of those holding a CA SE is
satisfactory (they generally have to work 3 years for a licensed SE and take
a 16 hr structural exam after passing the CE), my focus would be on the
"others" who are allowed to practice structural engineering. These "others"
are Architects and Civil Engineers. I would require all Architects and Civil
Engineers who wanted to practice or advertise an expertise in structural
engineering to take a simple, one problem exam. This exam would be a two
story, "L" shaped building. The materials can be anything (wood walls and
wood diaphragms, masonry walls and wood diaphragms, steel frames with metal
deck and concrete fill or reinforced concrete frames/shear walls with a
concrete slab). The requirements would be to:

1. Develop the base shear stating all assumptions
2. Perform a vertical distribution of the base shear.
3. Determine the stresses in the diaphragms
4. Prepare a preliminary/schematic design of the diaphragms
5. Determine the forces on the lateral force resisting elements
6. Prepare a preliminary/schematic design of the lateral force resisting
elements
7. Design the connections such that there is a continuous load path from
roof to foundation.

Only a calculator would be acceptable and the forces in moment frames (if
used) could be estimated using any logical method ("assuming a point of
inflection at the midheight of the columns, the moments in the columns would
be..."). Sketches, explanations, etc. would count a great deal (maybe more
than the calculations) and partial credit would be liberal (I hate that
word).

Another element I would propose is mandatory E&O insurance (just like the
requirements to register a car here). The goal of this requirement is to
mitigate competition with "moonlighters" who have no overhead costs and, in
a weak economy, drive down engineering fees to a dangerously low level. For
all of the moonlighters reading this, don't get upset. I have no problem
with what you do on your own time, just charge the same as you would if you
had to pay for an office.

Regards,
Bill Allen