Re: Bolt Tension

If your intent is to attain full fixity using the full capacity of each
bolt, then you'll need to pre-tension the bolts to about 99 kips (Area=1.227
sq in  x  Fy = 81 ksi).  But, you may have extra bolts in your design, so
this calc may not be applicable.

Also, if you were to use a Skidmore to determine the installation torque,
you'd need to use short 1.25" dia bolts in the Skidmore, which wouldn't be a
representation of the actual installed condition.  You've probably already
found that out and that's why you have a testing lab looking at the problem.
I assume your testing lab is trying to establish a field installation
procedure that will pre-tension these particular bolts to your specs.

One of the problems with this scenario is that the length of each bolt that
is not embedded can't be established without testing in hardened concrete.
That is, as the bolt is tensioned the upper portions that are embedded will
break the bond between the concrete and the surface of the bolt and thus the
length of the bolt that is not embedded will change as the bolt is
tensioned.  If you're trying to find a torque to install the bolts to, the
testing lab will have to embed samples of the bolts in concrete. allow
sufficient time for the concrete to set, and then test the bolts.  I can see
this as being very unscientific and unreliable.

In the final analysis, I also tend to agree with the creepy theory.

My $.02 worth.

Lew Midlam, PE
http://www.lcm.com