Re: Survey, final result (Corrected)

My point was not a CE doing structural engineering vs. SE. As you are aware,
the field of Civil Engineering is very broad. In fact, few who graduate with
a BSCE specialize in structural engineering. I just feel that those CEs (and
Arch) who do decide to practice structural engineering (especially in
seismic zone 4) to any degree should demonstrate that they can design and
detail a lateral load path from the roof to foundation. This requirement
would not impact most of those on this listserv and I'm sure that most who
read my example test problem would have no difficulty with it. The ones I am
concerned about are those who do not practice structural engineering on a
full time basis or those who want to pick up some extra work outside their
area of expertise.

I would suggest that, immediately after passing your CE, if you took the
sample problem I proposed, you would have no difficulty in passing it. I
know this because I recall interviewing you several years ago and I know
first hand that you would have had no difficulty with that exam, therefore
you would not have been relegated to designing sewers at all.

Regarding your "six months after graduation..." example, I know that you did
this quite a while back when codes were simpler and litigation was less
prevalent. I certainly would be concerned about this kind of practice today.

Regards,
Bill Allen