Re: Survey, final result (Corrected)

From: Bill Allen, S.E. <billallen(--nospam--at)earthlink.net>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Thursday, April 30, 1998 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: Survey, final result (Corrected)

>Regarding your "six months after graduation..." example, I know that you
did
>this quite a while back when codes were simpler and litigation was less
>prevalent. I certainly would be concerned about this kind of practice
today.

Believe me, it happens.  I was doing just this type of work for the company
I recently left (I graduated BCE with an emphasis on structures 25 months
ago).  I had been doing designs where the principle "in charge" would glance
at my drawings once, ask me "Are there any problems with this?", and stamp
it.  Yes, there have been problems with some of my designs that came back to
haunt us, but due to the firm's size and amount of work, there was not a
chance for things to be done "right" all of the time.

That's one of the major reasons why I sought and found employment elsewhere.

Dan Vines, EIT
Heery International