Bulk Storage loads

Valerie ,

Check ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, May, 1997, for
paper, "Conical Hoppers of Tall Steel Tanks: Case History of Failure and
Repair," by Gurfinkel and Pecknold, May, 1997.  The paper goes thru an
analysis of the hopper and gives a number of references, most by Gurfinkel,
but does give a couple of others:  Gaylord and Gaylord's "Design of Steel
Bins for Storage of Bulk Solids," 1984, Prentice-Hall; Safarian and Harris'
"Design and Construction of Silos and Bunkers," 1985, Van Nostrand Reinhold;
ACI Standard 313, "Recommended Practice for Design and Construction of
Concrete Bins, Silos, and Bunkers for Storing Granular Material."

Hope this helps.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > I have to provide a design for an onion storage facility.  I have access
. > to Midwest Plan Service -- Structures and Environment Handbook, 1983.
. > This gives methods for loading a vertical wall.  The job has a sloped
. > wall.
. >
. > Is there more recent work done on this?
. >
. > I have seen references that deal with the sloped wall, but cannot locate
. > them.  Can anyone help me out?
. >
. > Valerie Eskelsen