A Final Farewell to Gordon Allen Kelsen, S.E. (1926-1998)

While I sat to contemplate the days of past while we worked together
during the last twenty plus years in various committees both technical
and non-technical within the Structural Engineers Association, you had
always inspired other engineers and members of the committee with your
wisdom, thoughtfulness and foresightedness. Among the many committees
including the Disaster Emergency Services, Education, Professional
Practice, Registration Exam and others plus the Board of Directors, you
had always served with enthusiasm and distinction.

Whenever, I came to a difficult decision at the professional level and
wanted advice or another opinion, you had steadfast given your best
insight how you would react to a particular situation. What I will miss
most is the friendship both personal and professional. How can I forget
the last conversation we had just over a month ago when you were asked
if you would serve as a board member on BORPELS if selected. Without
hesitation, you had said you would be glad to serve. Gordon, you were
indeed a true professional.

To your family, I extend my deepest sympathy. Farewell, farewell .... my
friend, Gordon.

Sincerely,

JAMES S. LAI