Re: Geotechnical opinions

I also saw full site settlement first hand after the Northridge EQ.  We did a
structural survey of the damage at Cleveland High School, not far from the
epicenter.  On the campus of 20+ buildings, four or so of the main buildings
were on piles, the rest on continuous footings.  After the quake, all of the
pile buildings had "risen" an inch or two above the adjacent grade.  Soils
test actually showed that the whole site had consolidatd, but the pile
supported buildings stayed where they were.  An interesting problem.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.