Windows 98

If you use a Mac, or Windows NT, or DOS, read no further.  This post is
only for those, like me, who use Windows 95.  I have been a Windows 95
fan since April, 1995, when I crossed my fingers and entered the dicey
world of an OS beta tester.  For the most part, my marriage to Windows
95 has been pleasant and productive.  The exception is the last two
weeks, while I have been living in a dangerous neighborhood called the
Registry.  I seems that my Registry mysteriously became corrupted, and
two subsequent reinstallations of Windows 95 have only partially solved
the problem.  My Windows 95 OS now runs, but is left with all sorts of
inexplicable quirks, and clearly appears to be "living on borrowed
time".

I never thought that I would ever agree to beta test another operating
system, but now I am seriously considering doing just that.  About a
month ago, a surprise package showed up on my doorstep.  It was from the
good folks at Microsoft, and included a Windows 98 CD (RC-1, Build
1721.3, 4/1/98).  In subsequent visits to the Winbeta website, I have
determined that RC-4 is now available, and has been deemed to be "as
good as final".  In other words, Windows 98 will be released to
manufacturing within the next few days.  From reading available online
and printed literature, it appears that Windows 98 might clean-up and
speed-up my system.

Do any of you have first hand experience with Windows 98 yet?   What
land mines am I about to  step on?  What applications will cease to run?
 Should I wait for the shrink-wrapped version?  Should I forget the
whole thing, and start over with FDISK and Windows 95?

Any and all constructive comments will be appreciated.  If you don't
want to post your thoughts, just send them to my personal address.

Thank you,

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.
Dallas, Texas

HALFF ASSOCIATES, INC.
Engineers*Architects*Planners
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas  75225
Phone:    (214)346-6280
Fax:        (214)739-0095
Email:      scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com
Website:  http://www.halff.com