RE: Windows 98

Stan, I too am a "tweaker" who spends much time in the "Registry". First I
would recommend a couple of very good books. The one closest to hand is
"Inside the Registry for Microsoft Windows 95" by Gunter Born and published
by the Microsoft Press. There is another, written by (I believe) the current
editor of Windows Magazine - I'm not sure of the title, but I purchased it
at Crown or Barns and Noble.
Second, both Windows Magazine and PC-World have articles regarding the pros
and cons of Windows 98. Check out their web sites for copies of the latest
articles (http://www.winmag.com) For the most part, if you are running the
service release for the OEM version of Windows with Internet Explorer 4.01,
then you have the majority of the Windows 98 program. The speed gains come
from creating true 32bit partitions which also relinquish a good deal of
your hard drive space. However, the downside is that '98 will take up (if
memory serves me) almost 100 megs of additional hard drive space.
For your present problem, '98 is supposed to have some excellent 'tools' to
identify and correct common problems.
I would suggest that you clean your drive out if you have been running the
beta versions before installing the final version.
One other important note. Windows Mag warns the user from using the
self-running Microsoft Installation Wizard. The warnings are based upon too
many conditions not controlled by Microsoft that can create conflicts,
remove needed drivers from other programs and more.
Check out the above references. I don't care what any one says about their
operating system - none of them are stable and conflicts do exist even with
Apples. The trick is staying on top of your installations so you can track
the conflict and resolve it.
I found that Norton's Utilities (latest version) or Helix's Nuts & Bolts
does a very good job of tracking installations and conflicts.
You might consider keeping multiple copies of your registry - saving them
just prior to any new installations. This could help restore your system
faster in the event of a failed installation.

Hope this helps.
Dennis