RE: Windows 98

From:	Bill Allen, S.E. [SMTP:billallen(--nospam--at)earthlink.net]
Sent:	Monday, May 04, 1998 1:59 PM
To:	seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:	Re: Windows 98

I'm sure your meant that the OSR2 version of Windows95 (affectionately known
as Win95B) *frees* a good deal of hard drive space. This is due to the fact
that Win95B formats the HDD in 4kb clusters (instead of 16kb or 32kb
clusters) essentially regardless of the size of the HDD. You do have to
reformat your HDD to use this feature, but I found it to be very valuable in
preserving HDD space. Strangely enough, I believe this feature does not
exist with NT4 and will not be a feature in NT5.

[Bill Polhemus]

[Bill Polhemus]

It is irrelevant with respect to Windows NT (as it was in those happy days when I could still use my beloved OS/2).  Windows NT, like OS/2 before it, used a high-performance file system, NTFS, which does not suffer from the vicissitudes that FAT-based systems use.

I think it's ludicrous that Windows 98 is still stuck with FAT, a system that was developed back when a 30 MB drive was considered "huge."

MS gives you what it wants to give you.  After all, "they know MORE than you do!"

<<application/ms-tnef>>