RE: Windows 98

Bill,
This is from "Partition Magic Users Guide" Chapter 4: Concepts (pg 135-6)
"The New Technology File System (NTFS) is accessible only through the
Windows NT operating system. NTFS is not recommended for use on disks of
less than 400MB because it uses a great deal of space for system structure.
The central system structure of the NTFS file system is the master file
table (MFT). NTFS keeps multiple copies of the critical portions of the
master file table to protect against data loss. [Bill, FAT stores a
duplicate or mirror copy on the drive of the folder structure which takes
less space.]
NTFS uses clusters to store data files, but the size of the cluster is not
dependent on the size of the volume. A cluster size as small as 512 bytes
can be specified, regardless of volume size. Using small clusters reduces
the amount of wasted disk space and the amount of file fragmentation, a
condition where files are broken up over many noncontiguous clusters and
which results in slower file access. Thus, NTFS provides good performance on
large drives.
The NTFS file system also supports hot fixing, through which bad sectors are
automatically detected and marked so that they will not be used.
On and NTFS volume, you can us all Partition Magic features except features
that are specific to the FAT and FAT32 file systems."

One thing that will be implemented on Windows 98 that is not yet available
is something called "Windows 98 Aligned" which means that windows won't
release cached code as long as it is still running. The biggest savings
comes in CPU time. There is a very good discussion of it in the latest (May
1998) Windows Magazine (http://www.winmag.com which you can download or
read. It requires vendors to align the memory blocks of their codes (a
little too complicated for me to comprehend). However, Microsoft promises a
utility that the vendor can use to automate the process.

Dennis