Fw: Self Driving Caissons

Self driving caissons usually have a British chauffeur and.....
As described to me by another and from self inflicted knowledge via Bowles,
the self driving caisson uses a sharp lower bearing edge on an opened
bottom retaining structure that will lower itself by gravity when the
bottom soil is excavated from within and below the bottom edge.
Discussions with a contractor enlightened me to the use of pressurized
slurry pumped under pressure to the ouside skin to redeuce the skin
friction.  The non-cohesive granular soil is  minus in that it may not stay
in place but would slough and build up the skin friction enough to preclude
the gravitational settling of the caisson structure.  My mind wanderings
are somewhat self answering but I would still appreciate any other input.
Ther are some interesting descriptions and pix in Bowles, *Foundaton
Analysis and Design."
Thanx Again,
Mark