RE: Self Driving Caissons

I have only designed one of these structures, but it was circular.  With
the circular variety the caisson is designed as a circular concrete
tank.  PCI has a 32 page document called "Circular Concrete Tanks
Without Prestressing" that is very helpful.  The circular shape allows
you to design for ring tension - I'm not sure what approach you would
take for a rectangular one.  You may wish to rethink this direction.  A
few things to keep in mind:
*	Make sure you consider the possible loading conditions.  100
year flood and a dry interior, excavated on one side while the tank is
full, etc. ( take into account the possibility of the caisson distorting
due to uneven loading).
*	Brush up on working stress in concrete and ACI 350.
*	Be very aware of the fixity conditions of your wall.
*	Make sure you have enough weight to sink your caisson and hold
it in the ground during the 100 year flood, but not so much that the
caisson will keep going.
*	Don't skimp on the design of your tremie slab.
*	Geometry is very important during sinking.  A symmetrical
geometry will help ensure the caisson will sink evenly.
I was blessed to have a gentlemen with vast experience in this type of
structure around to help me through the design.  There is a lot of art
along with the science.  I would not recommend designing this type of
structure without a lot of guidance.  Good luck!
Bob Germaine, PE