Question for East Coast Engineers

Over the last few years, I have spoken to engineers and architects in
various area's out east who design wood structures and have little or no
conception of lateral design and shearwalls. Granted, most of those I ask
are from other professional newsgroups and not generally from the SEAOC
list, but I am confused since the threads on wind loads indicates design
loads in excess of most of those we find on the west coast (110-120 mph 3
second loads).
When I ask about this, they simply state that they don't have to worry about
seismic in their part of the country.
One engineer designed post and beam structures in Martha's Vineyards and
seemed unaware that the structure would be affected by lateral motion.
What are the facts. Don't the engineers on the east coast consider lateral
design for wind or are am I confusing area's were Brick buildings are the
norm?
I'm curious since this would imply that there is a difference in knowledge
related to load path and tying a structure together laterally.

Thanks,
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish PE
La Quinta, California
wish(--nospam--at)cwia.com

ICQ# 6110557
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/6110557
"The rich will do anything for the poor but get off their backs."
Karl Marx