RE: Question for East Coast Engineers

I believe that the increase in 3 second gusts on the east coast is due
to hurricane force winds.  The Gulf of Mexico, Florida and the eastern
seaboard are subjected to hurricanes.  As you move inland the loads
decrease.  [ASCE 7-95 fig 6-1] I am not familiar with the west coast
but I would venture to guess that storms with winds of that magnitude
are less common.  Seismic accelerations, on the other hand appear to
be about ¼ of those on the California coast.  So I presume that it is
more likely that seismic loads would control over wind on the west
coast were the opposite is more likely on the east coast.

About 3 years ago a new building code was proposed for New York State
which contained seismic provisions.  The governor rejected it due to
the seismic provisions on the basis that it would increase
construction costs and would not be business friendly.  I suppose
bricks falling on your head is not business friendly either.  I will
say though that wind loads are not neglected.

Perhaps in the case of a pole barn on Martha's Vineyard the structure
is in an occupancy category and sized such that the designer did not
feel wind loads were an important factor.  Most of my work is with the
New York State Department of Corrections.  Due to security
considerations most of the buildings have solid grouted CMU walls with
bars in each core.  On low rise buildings that does not leave much
consideration for lateral design.