Retaining wall design

I am designing a series of cantilevered retaining walls.  I am trying
to figure out whether or not I should consider the upward pressure
from the soil in designing the heel.  I have looked in several books
and they seem to waffle back and forth from one book to the next.
 Some saying to include it, some saying to disregard it.   While it is
more conservative not to include it, I was not sure.  Any thoughts?

Bruce C. Trobridge
Assistant Building Structural Engineer
NYS Office of General Services