Re: Question for East Coast Engineers

seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org,Internet writes:
Don't the engineers on the east coast consider lateral
design for wind or are am I confusing area's were Brick buildings are the
norm?
I'm curious since this would imply that there is a difference in knowledge
related to load path and tying a structure together laterally.

Thanks,
Dennis

I used to live in southeast PA and that is where I learned structural
engineering.  Yes, wind load is the primary design consideration for lateral
loads, and yes, you must provide a load path for the lateral loads.  I don't
know who you talked to about the Martha Vineyards project but any engineer
who is not designing for lateral loads should give up the practice
immediately.  Where I worked, depending on the type of structure and where it
was located, we would also do a seismic analysis.  Any solid masonry
structure would included a seismic analysis no matter where it was located.

Now, some structures are inherently rigid, such as a CMU building.  But they
are just as expensive in the east as they are in the west.  Most of my design
was in structural steel so we either had rigid frames, X bracing or CMU shear
walls.  I have not seen an all brick building in the east except when I
toured historic buildings.  All new solid masonry construction would be brick
veneer with CMU backup or split-faced CMU.

seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org,Internet writes:
"The rich will do anything for the poor but get off their backs."
Karl Marx

Now, for a side question.  Dennis, this is the second quote I recall you have
made from Carl Marx.  Are you an admirer of him?

Richard Lewis, P.E.
Missionary TECH Team
rlewis(--nospam--at)techteam.org