Re: Question for East Coast Engineers (non-tech response-don't read if you don't want to)

After reading an article yesterday, I realized how unimportant earthquakes,
tornadoes or hurricanes are.

In 1995, there were 669 youths and adolescents killed in the metropolitan
Los Angeles area from gunshot wounds. 669 in one year alone! I know L.A. is
a big place, but a death as violent as this touches many people. Certainly
the families and neighbors. Classmates too. I would suspect that probably
100 people's lives are changed forever (emotionally, physically,
spiritually) because of an incident like this. If this figure is even close,
that means over a half a million people a year are permanently affected by
such a tragedy.

I don't know what the solution is. I am not in favor of gun control although
I believe that I at least partially agree with Barbra Striesand when she
says that you don't need an AK47 to hunt game or a Uzi to protect your home
(maybe you do in South Central L.A.).

I do know we have a disease in this country worse than AIDS and cancer and
no one is really doing anything about it.

Regards,
Bill Allen