Re: Question for East Coast Engineers

Dennis,

Here in south GA anything small and made of wood (i.e. houses ) we do not
get involved in.  If it is an expensive house ($250k +) then architects
will do them.  There are a couple of architectural firms that do nothing
but expensive houses.  To my knowledge on a typical house the framer gets
to frame it how he or she wants and then the building inspector either
signs off on it or requires an engineer to look at a particular problem.
 Down here with the low wind loads and relatively short buildings, too
many lime sinks, lateral loads are not dificult to overcome.  That is
just how it is down here.  That doesn't mean that I do not know how to do
a lateral design or trace the horizontal loads to the foundations.

Mike