RE: Question for East Coast Engineers

You have hit the proverbial nail . . . it all comes back to the building
officials and their "enforcement" of the code.  My supposition is, most
of them probably don't understand most of that that they are supposed to
enforce!

Numerous voilations could be found in any "house framer engineered"
structure.  Engineering of these structures is unheard of in our area
too.  I have about decided that the brick veneer is what holds up most
of the houses around here in west texas(seismic 0, 90mph wind per ASCE
7-93).  Funny thing is . . . there are rarely any problems from our
60mph spring winds when the dust blows!

Other problem is, even if we were to structurally engineer "houses", or
any light framing structure, at least for me, to acheive a level of
comfort in the detailing that I am satisfied with, there is no way to
make any money.  I guess that its my concern for control of the
detailing that is the main cause of that, but isn't that where i should
be concerned?

And aren't lateral loads at least 50% of the puzzle in any structure?

robert rollo, PE
rrollo(--nospam--at)team-psc.com
(806) 747-0161vox
(806) 747-7146 fax