Subject:    East Coast Lateral Forces
Author: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Date:       5/6/98 2:43 PM

I work in the state of Maine and always design for lateral forces, wind
and yes seismic. As a matter of fact the design for lateral forces is
usually the most challenging part of the design. Verly often seismic
design presents the most challenges, for example complying with lateral
drift limitations. Unfortunately their is the attitude among some that
earthquakes will never happen. I hope this answered the question.

David N. Martin, P.E.