From: Lew Midlam [mailto:Lew.Midlam(--nospam--at)lcm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 1998 3:28 PM
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject: Re: Question for East Coast Engineers

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Brown <mike.brown(--nospam--at)cshqa.com>
To: seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org <seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org>
Date: Wednesday, May 06, 1998 5:51 PM

 The building officials should require engineering for
>the houses that do not meet current conventional construction before
issuing
>a permit

[Lew]

This is exactly what is now being done throughout Florida.  A contractor can
apply for a permit, without engineering (for residences), using the code's
'prescriptive' design, but they have to identify hold-downs, anchors,
sheathing, door & window jambs & anchors, anchors, etc, etc. ; and submit
pre-fab assemblies (such as roof trusses) fully designed, and with an
engineer's seal.  And if anything is out of the norm (today's norm, not the
way they've "always done it") then engineering is required.  Most, if not
all, of the building departments are enforcing this approach.

As I said in a previous post, Florida has learned its lesson.  Seismic
zone=0,  Wind zone='way up there'.

Lew Midlam, PE
http://www.lcm.com