RE: Question for East Coast Engineers

Thanks to all that responded. I get the impression that it depends heavily
upon the local jurisdiction. With all of the control in California regarding
mitigation of damage and design to prevent structural failure, it is
difficult for me to accept the architects and framers from having control
over any structure but those governed by Conventional framing standards.
However, it seems that the majority of the jurisdictions out east take
lateral design serious.
Has this been historical or has the effects of natural disasters over the
last few years influenced tighter design restrictions?

Thanks for the responses.
Dennis