RE: Question for East Coast Engineers

Dennis,

I don't know why no one will give you a straight answer. We do design for
the lateral loads on our buildings on the East Coast.

On typical one and two story buildings, wind will usually control in my
hometown, where the wind speed is 70 mph and the Av and Aa are 0.075.

>From what I've read on this listserve, it seems to me that a lot more
analysis is done on the west coast. I would be surprised if a single house
built here in the last year had any analysis done on lateral loads. On
single story buildings, unless the building is large and/or tall, it is
unlikely that much analysis is done to determine actual shear stresses in
roof diaphragms, roof/wall connections, shear walls, etc. If lateral loads
are resisted by braced or moment frames, however, they are going to be
analysed.

Buildings are designed (ie, the drawings show the construction details) and
built to resist lateral loads, but many are not analysed.

Ted Partrick, PE
Greensboro, NC