RE: Question for East Coast Engineers

Dennis,

On the issue of professionals allowing the codes to be passed, you need to
realize the we do not get to vote on the issues.  We can address and
discuss them before the voting members, but that is all.  One of the main
reasons that these provisions do not change, or change very little, is the
fact that we cannot show examples of catastrophic failures.  The closest we
have come has been damage from Northridge.

The National Association of Home Builders have been very successful in
keeping significant changes from being approved on the basis of "show me
examples," and the "unwarranted additional cost to homes."

Keep on the bandwagon, eventually we will prevail and convince those who
need to be convinced that we are saving money in the long run by reducing
the potential for severely impacting a family when their home is badly
damaged and not habitable.