Masonry Sound Walls

Your 17 foot high sound wall is equivalent to a 34 foot high non-bearing wall
in a building, laterally supported only at the top and bottom, that is
subject only to lateral forces which primarily cause bending.  What would
*you* feel comfortable with in designing a 34 foot high non-bearing wall?

As for consideration of the axial forces, I would use the interaction
equation.  (Section 2107.2.7 1994 UBC).

I don't know what a concrete or masonry stem wall would have to do with the
design of the wall.  (You would definitely need a *good* footing!)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona