Re: Stainless shapes

I just got done researching availability of stainless steel structural
shapes,
also for a wastewater treatment plant.  Contact the Nickel Development
Institute (412-369-0377) for manufacturer's of shapes.  I've contacted
several
and found the following:

1. Extruded shapes are very limited and are only available in small sizes -
6"
max depth for wide flanges and 8" depth for channels.  Angles, tees, rounds,
and square tubing are more readily available.  For larger members,
structural
shapes must be fabricated from bent or welded plates.  Channels can be
welded
back-to-back to form a W-shape.

2. Plates are available in a variety of stainless steel "types".  Rolled
shapes are mainly available in Type 304, occasionally in 304L; Type 316/316L
may be available in special orders (if adequate quantity to order a "coil").

Again, the general solution to get such as Type 316 stainless structural
shapes is to fabricate from plate.

3. Type 316 is more corrosion resistant for wastewater applications.  Type
304
may be okay for less severe environments.  Welding reduces the corrosion
resistance of Types 304/316; Types 304L/316L are available with "low carbon"
to maintain corrosion resistance of welded members.

All in all, its not cheap and its alot of design work.