Re: CORTEN steel

If I recall correctly, bleeding is not the only problem with CORTEN steel.
It is my recollection that this weathering steel does not develop a tight
patina oxide covering (read: "rust") as publicized, but the oxidation tends
to continue, just like all other rust.

Also, from memory, I believe that the ASTM spec that CORTEN finally fell
under was A440.  The 1997 ASTM index under "Weathering Steel" only lists
specs for nuts (A563/A563M) and a guide for estimating the corrosion
resistance of low-alloy steels (G101).

Welding also has to be done with an electrode that would produce a bead of
"weathering" steel.

I believe that one of the manufacturers of prefabricated foot bridges uses
CORTEN tubes in their bridges.  Their name slips my mind at the moment.  From
what I understand, they purchase *all* of the CORTEN tubular shapes that are
manufactured.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

. > Lynn:
. >
. > Pittsburgh has one of the largest CORTEN buildings that I have heard of,
. > US Steel Building, the Steel seems to be as good as any and it is
. > maintenance free and the esthetics are not bad. However; it has a
. > tendency to bleed all over the sidewalk, planting beds etc.. so that now
. > all areas and some interior areas are stained a nice rust color.
. >
. > Just something to keep in mind.
. >
. > Robert W. Stevens, Jr., P.E.