Re: Question for East Coast Engineers

I wonder what the City of Los Angeles Building Department's opinion is about
this Conventional Framing Provision. I don't have a copy of their code so I'm
not sure if they allow it or if they have modified it to their standards. I
know they are very strict on the structural observation requirements. This is
the only city where I have to perform structural observation on even the
smallest room addition. Most Orange County cities do not enforce this
requirement of structural observation but leaves it up to the structural
engineer to require it on their jobs.

How about other Engineer's experience on this matter? Or Building Official/
Plan Checker's opinion. Do you allow it? If yes, under what conditions and
restrictions?

I had a job about a couple of years ago where I designed a two story apartment
building, simple and rectangular in shape. The contractor said they have been
using this same set of plans so many times before without an engineer's
signature but needed one for this prticular job because the City requires it.
The only revision I had to do was mostly on the lateral defeciency where I
added heavier shear walls and hold-downs and extra shear transfer details.
Otherwise, everything else conforms to the Conventional Framing Provisions of
the Code. I did review the whole building and made sure it's OK since I'm
signing the plans and I'll be responsible for the whole thing. I'm almost sure
they kept on using this set of plans without an Engineer's signature as long
as they can get away with it. I just don't know if they used the old set or
the improved set that I designed.

Ernie Natividad