Re: Masonry Sound Walls -Reply

I wouldn't lean too heavily on Caltrans' design.  They seem to suffer problems
in every EQ.  Similarly, the "standard detail" LA City used to issue for 6'
tall masonry site walls has also been revised since Northridge due to a
general lack of performance.  That made me feel better because I never could
get it to calc out - one of those conventional framing kind of things.

My thoughts:  Use a big footing, and use rebar on both faces of the wall.

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.

<< CALTRANS' Bridge Standard Detail Sheets has details for soundwalls.

 >>> Chance, Acie P. <acie_chance(--nospam--at)wdi.disney.com> 05/07/98 08:25am

 I am designing a 17 foot tall masonry sound wall and would like to use 12
 CMU with out a concrete stem wall. >>