RE: Tornadic Gust Wind Speeds vs Seismic

One of the best papers I have ever seen on tornado probability is by Grant Darkow, Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Missouri - Columbia "Tornado Wind Probabilities for Engineers".  I got my copy from Professor Darkow so I don't know when or where it was published.  I believe it was originally presented in a symposium.

He also includes some information on micro bursts.  One additional thing worth noting is that when you compare wind speeds you should convert the tornado wind speeds to 3 second gusts.  The Fujita scale is based on  1/4 mile winds.  The SEI just published a good example on wind speed conversion.

Harold Sprague
Krawinkler, Luth & Assoc.
4412 W. Eisenhower Blvd.
Loveland, CO 80537
Voice: 970 667-2426
Fax: 970 667-2493
Email: hsprague(--nospam--at)klaalov.com