Re: Question for East Coast Engineers

Dennis, while you're at it, don't stop at collecting information on problems
with the conventional framing provisions of the code. Get ideas and
suggestions on how to solve or avoid these potential problems.

My suggestion is provide details that are very specific as to what is and is
not allowed. The most common problem I always see in the field is the drilling
holes and notching at studs, top plates, and floor joists which are over the
maximun allowed. Even with typical details and notes on allowables, they still
do it. I think it is out of habit or they do no read the plans at all.

Other typical problems are misplaced holddown anchors, holes in the plywood
shear wall bigger than 6 " square, no edge nailing at framing member connected
to the holddown, oversized holes at sill bolts, missing drag straps or nail
holes not filled, etc.

I suggest that we dedicate one detail sheet just for these two problem areas.
One third of the sheet will show a large detail of studs, plates, joists,
beams, etc. showing the dimensions of notches or holes that are allowable.
Show a big, bold "X" symbol on nothces and holes that are oversized for
emphasis. Put a big note that says "ALL FRAMING MEMBERS WITH OVERSIZED HOLES
AND NOTCHES SHALL BE REPLACED. IF HOLES AND NOTCHES BIGGER THAN ALLOWED IS
NEEDED, APPROVAL OF THE ENGINEER(NOT THE ARCHITECT) IS REQUIRED"

The other two-thirds of the sheet will show a large shear wall elevation
showing the plywood panel with edges shown blocked, edge nailing shown at the
panel edges and at framing members connected to the hold-down, sill plate and
top plate. A typical door and window shall be included in the wall elevation
showing the framing members around the opening and the hold-down shown with
the bolts connected to the framing member with edge nailing. The framing
member around the opening shall show the king stud(full height), trimmer
stud(under the header) and the dimension from the edge of the door or window
frame(shown dashed) to the trimmer stud. A big note shall say "THE FRAMING
CONTRACTOR SHALL COORDINATE WITH THE FOUNDATION CONTRACTOR FOR THE EXACT
LOCATION OF THE HOLD-DOWN ANCHORS. THE FRAMING CONTRACTOR SHALL VERIFY THAT
ALL SILL BOLTS AND HOLD-DOWN ANCHORS ARE THE CORRECT SIZE, PROPERLY LOCATED
AND WITH ADEQUATE LENGTH ABOVE THE FINISH FLOOR LINE BEFORE POURING CONCRETE".

A 6 inch square hole shall be shown on the shear wall and noted as maximum
size allowed. A note pointing to the hole shall say " OPENINGS GREATER THAN 6
INCHES SQUARE BUT LESS THAN 12 INCHES SQUARE SHALL HAVE BLOCKING AND EDGE
NAILING ALL AROUND. OPENINGS GREATER THAN 12 INCHES SQUARE  ARE NOT ALLOWED.
IF ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, SUCH OPENINGS SHALL HAVE  ENGINEER'S APPROVAL AND
APPROPRIATE DETAILS SHALL BE PROVIDED BY THE ENGINEER."

A note pointing to the hold-down shall say " HOLD-DOWN ANCHORS SHALL NOT BE
BENT. THE HOLD-DOWN SHALL BE INSTALLED PLUMB AND TIGHT FITTING TO THE FACE OF
THE FRAMING. FRAMING SHALL NOT BE NOTCHED. BOLT HOLES SHALL NOT BE OVERSIZED.
MISPLACE HOLD-DOWN ANCHORS SHALL BE BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF THE ENGINEER
FOR THE APPRO[RIATE REPAIR PROCEDURE AND DETAILS."

This is all I can think of for now based on what I've been seeing in the
field.

Ernie Natividad