RE: Question for East Coast Engineers

Robert, many good responses in your post. You confirmed what I originally
thought was the intent of Conventional Framing for post WWII FHA Homes.
You also hit on a very important observation that can account for most of
the problems that arise with Conventional Construction.
1. I agree that the quality of construction has deteriorated since the early
seventies. However, I don't believe that this has anything to do with
available materials or proprietary connectors. I believe it has more to do
with labor cost and the tradeoff of using unskilled, lower cost labor to
accomplish the same work in a much shorter period of time.
2.  It's not necessarily that labor has gotten worse (although I feel that
this is a large part of the problem) but rather the complexity of the
allowable design has gotten much more complicated from the post WWII FHA 900
S.F. square box similar to what we see in the Silver Lake region of Los
Angeles.
3. Framing used to be an artform which is no longer profitable today. This
leads to the new Framer that does not posses the skills of the "old-timers"
who knew how to assemble wood structures. We can not expect to increase the
skills of the present day framer unless we require him to prove his/her
competency and understanding of the provisions of the code. The dichotomy is
that the lobby against additional education and testing of Contractors is
stronger than the lobby to tighten their requirements. Any individual who
can wield a hammer can call himself a framer and work under a GC's license
as an employee. Typically, the GC is running more than one project at a time
and relies upon the framers historic references to accomplish the project.
I think you can see from many responses (and from the forthcoming web pages
devoted to these quality problems) that we have a real problem in this area.
4. The intent of the code has or is changing. Prior to the '91 code we were
not concerned about mitigation of damage. With the insurance companies
backing out of high risk area's like California, the home owner is left
unprotected and financially liable for any damage that occurs. With
contractors liability expiring after ten years, there may be no recourse for
poor construction quality unless it can be proven that it was due to
criminal neglect - something I have yet to see proven in court.

Finally, with the knowledge that you admit exists, there would be no excuse
to allow compliance to a prescriptive measure that is incomplete. This
includes the connection of interior shearwalls (as you pointed out) as well
as the selection of headers based upon maximum truss spans of 34-40 feet.
There are many loopholes - even in the IBC. I complimented the IBC because
it is an improvement in this section of the code. However, we are not doing
the homebuyer justice to produce only a half attempt at a prescriptive
measure that leaves a great deal to interpretation.
Until the "Framer" can be required to be licensed in his particular trade
and prove competency in the sections of the code that deal with the
materials he chooses to qualify for, we must provide 100% prescriptive
methodology or none at all.
This does not mean I want to abolish conventional framing, this means that I
want to provide a complete prescriptive measure to assure construction
quality or to weed out the "bottom feeders" we frequently draw attention to.
I have sent my comments to the SEAOSC committee that works with wood
provisions for the IBC. I have no idea whether it was received, reviewed or
considered more than an intrusion from the outside.
Those reading this who have some responsibility to this section of the IBC
need to respond to this list so that we know that the many issues raised are
being considered by SEAOC. It would be great to have SEAOC take a position
on this section of the code and reaffirm their position to those members of
this list for a start.
Thanks for your comments, they went a long way to clarify the intentions of
the Conventional framing. I think it boils down to one comment you made that
shows the problems we face: " The issue of no requirement of connecting
interior braced wall lines to the roof diaphragm was an initial oversight
that was to be corrected by a
further code change but ICBO suspended code development for the UBC before
the change could be processed."
If this is not corrected at the present, there will be thousands of SFR that
may be constructed with this deficiency.

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish PE