From:  MRodrig273[SMTP:MRodrig273(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent:  Monday, May 11, 1998 2:15 AM
To:  seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:  Re: Internships for summer?

I agree with all the other engineers.  As a graduating Cal Poly ARCE
(Architectural Engineer) student, I feel that getting some
engineering
experience before graduation is very important.  I had worked with a
structural engineer for a couple of years, and i am currently working
with an
architect doing structural calculations.  I feel that my work
experience has
made me comfortable with design and also very familiar with the
building
codes.  There are a lot of students that I am graduating with that
have not
even been inside a engineering office, although they are straight A
student,
they don't know one thing about putting a detail together or how to
draw and
read a framing plan, but when you ask them to prove a strucutural
theory they
can fill up a board with equations.

I think it is important for students to spend their summers working
for an
engineers office, even just running errands or answering phone calls.

My two cents worth
Marlou
ARCE 98
Cal Poly, SLO