Re: 1Meg modem w/ DSLine: $20./mo?

Please note that the following is based solely on my limited personal
knowledge.

DSL is the phone companies' answer to cable modems.  They run off of
existing copper lines and will be much faster than cable modems.  I don't
recall off the top of my head exactly what speeds they support, but 1 mbps
does not sound unreasonable.  To my knowledge, there is currently no wide
spread implementation anywhere in the US, only a handful of 'test-beds'.
Regarding pricing, that will depend on your local telco (Pacbell or US West
in your area?).  I think that I heard recently of a Bell South test area in
Birmingham, AL that was charging subscribers about $30 / month.  I have not
yet seen equipment for sale yet.  I am under the impression, that if DSL is
available in your area, you would lease the modem from the telco.

Everything I have read about this technology makes me think that it will be
the best we can hope for until all homes and businesses are wired with fiber
(or whatever new transmission medium comes along).  The plusses are that it
runs off plain copper wire, and that the telcos are worried about losing
business to other utilities (the cable industry) especially with the advent
of internet phone systems.  The only drawback I can think of is
infrastructure related:  I believe that there is a practical limit on the
distance between your modem and the nearest switching office of about 1
mile.

It all boils down to this:  If DSL is available in your neighborhood,  GET
IT!!!  If not, you might be in for a long wait.

Dan
--
Sherman D. (Dan) Vines, EIT
Heery International