From:  Brent Koch[SMTP:brentk(--nospam--at)tdl.com]
Sent:  Monday, May 11, 1998 12:06 PM
To:  seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org
Subject:  Crooked Anchor Bolts

I have this current condition at a jobsite:

We are using 1-3/8" diameter A449 anchor bolts to connect several
precast
mansard to a parking garage. A bolted connection is used along six
ramp bays
where our panels are bolted down directly to the tops of the columns
at
constant elevation. (The roof slab is continually changing elevation
along
these bays.) Here, pairs of anchor bolts extend vertically about 3 ft
out of
the column and will pass through (2)3-1/4" dia. sleeves in the
precast. The
sleeve is eventually grouted and mechanical anchorage is provide by a
plate
and nut at the end of the rod.

The general contractor has not placed the rods plumb coming out of
the
columns. We need the rods plumb to facilitate installation and to
permit
proper alignment of the panel once the panel is landed.

Is it possible to heat this type steel, not in excess of 1200 deg F,
straighten the rods?

Comments and references appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Brent Koch, P.E.