Re: Composite/Light gauge construction

>On a design-build project I designed a two-story assisted living facility
using a steel frame and bar joist.
>The contractor has come back with a design utilizing all light gauge framing
John,
This is the first time I've heard of using cold rolled light gage steel as
part of a composite system. Your caution seems well justified to me. Ask the
builder if there are asy ICBO reports or actual physical tests and written
specifications that show how the "system" works under loads and "traffic" on
the floor above. If he can't provide anything "concrete" I'd refuse to let
him count on actual composite action.
Hope this is of some guidance.
Norb Volny, PE
Pacific NW