Re: Composite/Light gauge construction

Norb Volny wrote:
I agree with Norb Volny's cautionary advice.  Many years ago I was asked
to approve a redesign of a 30' span composite floor using HAMBRO
composite joists, manufactured by Canam.  Eastern companies, don't know
if you've heard of them on the left coast.  They readily furnished ICBO
reports and test results.  Turns out they were relying on physical tests
of a 23' span.  There was physical restraint at the end of each joist to
assist (or provide?) longitudinal shear transfer between the joist and
slab.  On this 30' design they were planning to use the same end
condition, regardless of the much higher shear forces.  Needless to say,
their design did not get built.  Good luck.

Phil Hodge, PE
HABCO
Spring City, TN