Eathquake & 1997 UBC

Hi everyone,

This is my first time using the 1997 Uniform Building Codes earthquake
design section and I have come across a question that has me stumped.

Section 1612.4 'Special Seismic Load Combinations' has an Em value for the
earthquake component which comes from equation 30-2. What is this load
combination used for? Main lateral reisting system for the structure,
cladding for the structure or something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Russ
Russell Schaefer
George Butler Associates
8207 Melrose Drive
Lenexa, Ks. 66214-3621
Phone (913) 492-0400
E-Mail rschaefer(--nospam--at)gbutler.com