Fw: Need "Flitch-plate" design example

Dennis
I have done this many times.
Points to heed
1)    If plate is not within the timber plies, i.e. laterally restrained, you have to calculate the bolt spaces by investigating the potential for plate buckling.
2)    If the plate is laterally supported such as with the bottom/top flange like with an angle then with good bolting patterns the section properties can be calculated with tranformed sections methods.
3)    You may need t consider torsion of the transformed section depending on your load application.

Otherwise no different from ordinary beam design.  I have used this for many instances where header depth is restricted and a full steel section is not wanted.  Works like a hot damn+ACE-

Thor Tandy  P.Eng
Victoria  BC

Subject: Need +ACI-Flitch-plate+ACI- design example

+AD4-My client does not want to remove and replace an existing 4x16 DF +ACM-1 Beam
only on.........
+AD4-..........one side and is to be lagged to the face of the existing beam.
+AD4-
+AD4-If anyone has a sample of an analysis that I can follow, I'd appreciate it.
+AD4-
+AD4-Thanks
+AD4-Dennis Wish PE
+AD4-