RE: Need "Flitch-plate" design example

Bill,

I mainly do heavy industrial design so I don't have applications for
flitch plate design often, but I do have several supporting my house.
If I recall correctly that are built with 1/4" plates between 2X10's
spanning about 16' and each one supports about 10 feet of tributary
floor width, a wall with several door openings, and then a corresponding
ceiling and roof load.  No problem with wall cracks or deflections. The
assemblies are held together with about 1/2" diameter bolts on about 4'
centers.  On the few occasions when I've designed flitch plate beams I
recall the numbers working nicely.

Ed Marshall, PE
Simons Engineering
Atlanta