RE: Need "Flitch-plate" design example

That's the way we've always done it as well.  This pattern can even be
repeated to create wider (sitffer) beams.  The assumption we've made,
and it has always worked is that the plate carries all load and that the
wood "braces" the plate from torsional buckling.  I usually don't use
full (0.66Fy) plate bending stress, however, just to help with the "warm
fuzzy" idea.  Bolts are placed to transfer a rational amount of this
"bracing" force to the lumber (2% per Yura?)  We have not restricted
ourselves to 1/4" plate however. (Although contractors on the typical
"flitch beam" size job tell us that 1/4" plate or 3x3 angle iron will
hold up anything) We will let deflection find the depth (in lumber
increments, or depth available obviously), and let Sx at 12-15 ksi find
the plate thickness.  HAs our rationale any logic or should we be losing
some sleep tonite?