RE: Steel Jacketing of RC columns

UCSD under contract to CalTrans has done a great deal of work on steel &
composite jacking of columns; circular, square & rectangular.  They
looked at "flat / stiffened" jackets as well as eliptical jackets for the
square & rectangular columns.  Their work in documented in CalTrans
reasearch reports which should be available through CalTrans or UCSD.
When this type of research results in field workable methods they are
incorporated in CalTrans- Memos To Designers.  UCB has done work on steel
jacketing of square & rectangular columns.
UC Irvine has also done composite wrap research as has USC.  The only
vendors not mentioned that I can think of are Dupont & Mitsubishi.

It depends are your design objective as to whether you need to jacket the
entire column or just the top & bottom potential plastic hinge zones.  Is
the objective to add confinement or shear reinforcement?

It is possible to wrap square & rectangular columns with or without
changing the cross section to elliptical the results are better if the
cross section is changed.  The fiber wrap installation techniques are not
extremely difficult & can be done in a low tech environmnet.  The wrap
strength is a function of the fiber & the number (thickness) of total
wrap.  Any one of the vendors mentioned can provide information, materials
& service.

I would recommend against the welded angle iron confinement of an
unmodified square column.  Without changing the shape to round or at least
elliptical you'll either need some substantial stiffening or the
improvement in confinement will be mnimal.

regards
Robert Kazanjy, PE *****I speak for myself not UC-Irvine*****
Senior Development Engineer
UC-Irvine
Dept of CIvil & Enviromental Engineering