From: Ed Marshall [mailto:elmarshall(--nospam--at)HASimons.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 1998 3:46 PM
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject: RE: Need "Flitch-plate" design example

Sounds like we may be thinking of different things.  The flitch plate
beams I'm thinking of are assemblies with a vertical steel plate
sandwiched between doubled-up joists.  It is not a composite design in
that there is no horizontal shear transfer.   The typical application is
a location where beam depth is restricted.  A pair of 2x10's with a
1/4"x 9 1/4" plate assembled together makes a 3.25' wide beam, but has
roughly the stiffness of an 8x10 timber.

Regards,
Ed Marshall