Re: Need "Flitch-plate" design example

The same way it gets transfered to multiple timber plies?  The idea is to make the composite section perform monolithically.  The problem of handling the relative stiffnesses etc is no different from steel to concrete or fibre wrap to concrete etc.  In multiple plies we design the bolting required as if one ply takes a portion of the load.  A flitch plate lies in the same plane as the timber beam(s) and it could be reasoned that if the bolting  is sufficient to restrain the potential buckling of any of the plies than any VQ/I will probably be carried by friction between the plies.  I venture that any VQ/I  will usually be less than the available friction?

I sure enjoy the outpouring a simple question generates :-))

Thor Tandy

Subject: RE: Need "Flitch-plate" design example