Re: Need "Flitch-plate" design example

Thor

Sorry,  but I always use the critical bolting for either plate buckling or
for horizontal shear.  True composite action can only be acheived for proper
horizontal shear transfer.   Otherwise the combined action depends on the
end bearing situation and the relative stiffness of the respective elements.
This clearly will be satisfactory in many cases.

In the case under consideration I assume the an existing timber beam has to
be supplemented.  (I have deleted the original message so stand to be
corrected.)  In this case the end bearing is likely to be through the
timber.  Then a load transfer operation is required for the steel plate to
be effective. E.G. jack up the timber beam, fix the flitch plate and release
the beam for the load transfer onto the composite section.   And for the
steel plate to be properly utilised the horizontal shear transfer needs to
take place.  At the beam ends I often find that the shear transfer  governs
bolt spacing,  and then in the timber/bolt bearing stress.

Bruce Shephard, Principal Consultant Seismic Risk
Opus International Consultants, New Zealand
DD Telephone +64 4 4717597,  Fax +64 4 4711397
Email bruce.shephard(--nospam--at)opus.co.nz