From: Ed Marshall [mailto:elmarshall(--nospam--at)HASimons.com]
Sent: Friday, May 15, 1998 7:29 AM
To: 'seaoc(--nospam--at)seaoc.org'
Subject: RE: "Flitch-plate" design

There is also a discussion in  ASCE's "Wood Structures, A Design Guide
and Commentary", 1975, Section 8.6.3.2:

"... defined as 'a vertically laminated beam composed of one or more
pieces of timber with one or more metal plates on the sides or between
the timbers and fastened to each other so as to act as one unit ...  at
the beginning of this century, flitch beams were quite common and
accepted in building construction everywhere' ... yet the need to
predrill both lumber and steel plate, to allow bolting, made the
assembly of flitch beams time consuming, unpopular, and uneconomical in
light of advanced technology."  It then goes on to discussion testing of
nailed assemblies using sheet steel rather than plate steel.

By the way, I've seen a least a couple to text books that included
flitch plate beam design in them, but don't have them at hand.

Ed Marshall, PE
Simons Engineering
Atlanta